What to do if You Have Been Injured in a Motor Vehicle Accident

June 18, 2021

Pull Over Safely and Call the Police

After you have been in an injury producing accident, it is important to make your way out of traffic in a safe manner. After you have cleared the zone of danger, call 911 and request a police response.

While at the Scene of the Accident Call Your Attorney

You should immediately call an attorney after contacting the police so you have a chance to discuss the matter with an attorney before speaking to the police.  Your attorney can help you craft an accurate and impactful statement to provide the police that protects your rights and avoid pitfalls.

A police report usually contains contact information for the involved motorists and witnesses, written statements from all parties and witnesses, and a determination of who is at fault for causing the accident. The police report is the most important document in determining who caused the accident in a lawsuit, which is why it is imperative that you immediately call an attorney while waiting for the police to arrive.

Make sure to get the number associated with the police report before you leave the scene so you can obtain a copy of the final report.

Obtain Witness Information

Oftentimes, witnesses will not wait for the police so you should immediately contact any witnesses to the accident and get each witness’ name, address, email address, and phone number. If a witness supports that you were not at fault for the accident, ask if you can take a video and record their statement on your phone.

Document the Scene

If it is safe, use you phone to make a video of the accident scene and take plenty of pictures of the scene, the roadway, the involved vehicles, any visible injuries, and any property damage.

Call Your Attorney Back

After you have gone through the steps above, call your attorney again to discuss the next litigation steps.

If is crucial that you have an attorney you can contact in real time, which is why at Freeburg & Granieri, APC the firm’s calls are routed directly to its attorneys’ cell phones for time sensitive matters. Speak to an attorney when you need one – call Freeburg & Granieri, APC and talk to a live attorney at 626-486-9082.


Contact us

Our clients become friends, confidants, and repeat customers. Former clients are our best referral source.

Do not be a commodity, find an attorney who treats your legal issue with the care it deserves.

Centered in Pasadena and serving all of California – including, but not limited to, Fresno County (Clovis, Fresno, San Joaquin); Kern County (Arvin, Bakersfield, Delano, Mojave, Tehachapi); Los Angeles County (Alhambra, Burbank, Calabasas, Encino, Glendale, Long Beach, Manhattan Beach, San Gabriel, Santa Monica, Torrance, Whittier); Mono County (June Lake, Mammoth Lakes); Riverside County (Coachella, Corona, Indian Wells, Moreno Valley, Murrieta, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Riverside, Temecula); San Bernardino County (Barstow, Big Bear Lake, Chino, Fontana, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, Yucca Valley); San Diego County (Carlsbad, Chula Vista, Encinitas, Oceanside, San Diego); San Luis Obispo County (Arroyo Grande, Atascadero, Cambria, Morro Bay, Paso Robles, Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo); Stanislaus County (Ceres, Modesto, Oakdale, Turlock, Riverbank, Salida); Ventura County (Camarillo, Oxnard, Thousand Oaks, Ventura)
Mon : 8:00am - 6:00pm
Tue: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Wed: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Thurs: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Fri: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Sat & Sun: Closed
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram